|Speaker of the New York State Assembly, Carl E. Heastie at the sickle cell initiative focused|
blood drive at Eastchester Church of God in the Bronx.
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 204 adults and 76 children following 57 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- For Shark Week, we’ve partnered with Discovery to avoid summer blood shortages where blood donors automatically enter and get a chance to win an outdoor adventure package.
- As part of Shark Week, we shared a video of Jess Reid from IN Greenwich donating blood as a shark.
- On Friday, Speaker of the New York State Assembly, Carl E. Heastie sponsored a sickle cell initiative focused blood drive in the Bronx community at the Eastchester Church of God.
- Staten Island Borough President Vito J. Fossella, partnering with our Sound the Alarm program, recorded a PSA to raise awareness of the program.
- Valeria Jones, a Red Cross volunteer and IHL expert, shared how she found her passion for international affairs and raising awareness of IHL through working with the Red Cross.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- Come to give blood, platelets or plasma in July to automatically be entered for a chance to win an exclusive Shark Week merchandise package thanks to Discovery! Schedule your appointment today.
- Take action and make a difference this July. Every day volunteers are needed to provide vital services to people forced from their homes because of home fires, storms and other emergencies. Apply here to become a Mass Care volunteer today!
- August 2: Register now for the Red Cross Blood Drive sponsored by OGS at the Empire State Plaza!
- August 2: Join us for the annual “National Night Out” at the Brentwood Public Library! Learn more here.