|Painting hung at the Finkelstein Memorial Library in Spring Valley, the site of a Red Cross Blood Drive last week.|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 153 adults and 32 children following 49 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Sunday night, the Long Island Red Cross helped 3 families with financial assistance and recovery support after a fire in Huntington.
- Friday morning, Bronx News 12 and NY1 reported on a Brooklyn fire where the Red Cross provided assistance to affected families.
- Assemblyman Michael Lawler and the Finkelstein Memorial Library hosted a Red Cross blood drive in Spring Valley, NY on Thursday.
- On Wednesday, Bronx News 12 reported on a Bronx fire where the Red Cross helped multiple families with emergency housing and financial aid.
- Last week, we proudly welcomed our new Board Chair, Jill Coyle, and our new Board Members, Suresh Muthuswami and Frank Stadelmaier.
- Sammy Chu, a board member of the Long Island Red Cross, shared his inspiring story of how he came to work with the Red Cross.
- June 25th was the annual worldwide celebration of the Red Cross and Red Crescent movement in Solferino, Italy. Vivian Moy shared her once-in-a-lifetime journey attending the annual gathering in season 1 episode of our podcast.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- Mental health professionals are needed for Red Cross disaster services. Share your compassion as a Red Cross Volunteer today by completing your application!
- July 14: Now is the perfect time to join us and get trained to help your local community! Learn about positions with disaster preparedness, communications, volunteer services and much more at this Volunteer Info Session.
- August 2: Register now for the Red Cross Blood Drive sponsored by OGS at the Empire State Plaza!