|News 12 reported on several fires and how the Red Cross responded, including one in Yonkers.|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 108 adults and 23 children following 37 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Last Friday, our team visited the office of the Bronx Borough President Vanessa Gibson to record a “Sound the Alarm” PSA and to discuss efforts to advance fire safety in the Bronx.
- Long Island Red Cross CEO Jose Dominguez and several of our Board Members attended the Long Island Association State of the Region event last week featuring US Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer.
- For #NationalBloodDonorMonth, we featured blood donor Karyn Ryan who shared why she donates.
- Last Thursday, ABC7NY and News 12 reported on a massive condominium building fire in Westchester County. That day, the Metro NY North Red Cross opened a reception center and provided assistance to more than a dozen families.
- On Thursday, News 12 posted this story reflecting on last year's fatal fires in New York City.
- News 12 also reported on a fire in Yonkers where the Metro NY North Red Cross assisted 10 families.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- Jan 10: Join us for a FREE information session to learn how you can uncover your Inner Hero by joining our volunteer team. Multiple opportunities, one lifesaving mission!
- Feb 15: Join us at the Ziegfeld Ballroom, NYC to honor #RedCrossHeroes for their dedicated service and commitment to the community. Purchase your ticket now!
- Let 2023 be the year you bring hope to a neighbor by becoming a Red Cross volunteer. As a Disaster Action Team volunteer, you can make a real difference in someone’s life after a disaster when they desperately need it most. Sign up to make an impact. #ResolveToVolunteer
- For more than 50 years, each U.S. president has proclaimed January as #NationalBloodDonorMonth. Thanks to those who roll up their sleeves and help save lives! Help start the year off strong and make an appointment to give blood or platelets with the Red Cross: rcblood.org/appt