|Red Cross responded to a 4-alarm fire in the Bronx. (Photo: Michael de Vulpillieres)
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 187 adults and 46 children following 54 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- ABC7NY, CBSNY and News 12 Bronx reported on Red Cross assistance for 5 families after a fire on Evergreen Ave in the Bronx this weekend.
- Therapy dog volunteer SweetPea celebrated her 14th birthday this Saturday by joining other HVPaws4cause teams to support soldiers at an event at a local military resource center.
- Many volunteers and staff came together last Saturday for a disaster training exercise.
- Last Thursday, PIX11, CBSNY and Bronx Times reported on Red Cross teams providing relief following a 4-alarm fire on Carpenter Ave in the Bronx that forced more than 50 families from their homes. NY State Senator Jamaal T. Bailey thanked the Red Cross and City Emergency Responders for their efforts.
- For #NationalBloodDonorMonth, we featured Stacie Kloepfer-Brocks and Bob Brady who shared why donating blood is important to them.
- Metro NY North Red Cross volunteer Dan Neiman has been in Florida these past few weeks working with a team of volunteers from around the world, doing damage assessment and providing bridge financial assistance to residents whose homes suffered major damage from Hurricane Ian.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- Feb 6: Council Member Marjorie Velázquez is co-hosting an emergency preparedness virtual workshop, Prepare, Respond, Recover: What to do when Disaster Strikes and Hands-on CPR.
- Feb 15: Join us at the Ziegfeld Ballroom, NYC to honor #RedCrossHeroes for their dedicated service and commitment to the community. Purchase your ticket now!
- Let 2023 be the year you bring hope to a neighbor by becoming a Red Cross volunteer. As a Disaster Action Team volunteer, you can make a real difference in someone’s life after a disaster when they desperately need it most. Sign up to make an impact. #ResolveToVolunteer
- It's National Blood Donor Month & we’re your biggest fans! To show our thanks for coming to give in January, we're giving you a chance at a trip for 2 to Super Bowl LVII in AZ! Schedule now.