|20 Red Cross volunteers gathered in Spring Valley to support|
the community after a tragic fatal fire. (Photo: Maria Anguiano)
Last Week in Review
- Over the weekend, we urged people to test their smoke alarms after turning their clocks forward for Daylight Savings Time.
- Last Thursday, a few of our Long Island Red Cross team members met with Nassau County Executive Bruce Blakeman and his team for a special Red Cross Month proclamation.
- Yonkers Mayor Mike Spano thanked the Red Cross and other local agencies/organizations for assisting the residents of a 95-unit apartment building on Bronx River Road after a major fire. Hudson Valley Post, NBC NY, the Riverdale Press, FOX5NY, News 12, PIX11, NY Post, Lohud.com, USA Today all reported on the fire.
- The Queens Chronicle, PIX11 and ABC7NY reported on how the Red Cross assisted residents after a fire tore through 4 buildings in Woodside last Tuesday.
- For International Women’s Day, we celebrated our incredible women volunteers and inspiring women leaders, starting with our founder Clara Barton.
- Our Board Chair Jill Coyle lead a delegation of Red Crossers tor an advocacy trip in Washington DC where they met with US Senators, US Representatives and their staff to share the incredible story of service and the work of our volunteers to prevent and alleviate human suffering.
- Lohud.com and News 12 reported on the work of over 20 Red Cross volunteers who gathered in Spring Valley (Rockland County) to support the community after a tragic fatal fire the previous weekend.
- We featured Red Crosser Kevin Suttlehan who has been photographing the work of the Red Cross here in Greater NY and across the country.
- Last Tuesday, our regional CEO Mary Barneby was at the FOX5NY studio chatting with Antwan Lewis about the work of the Red Cross for a taping of the show Good Day Street Talk.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- Red Cross Month Walking Challenge is a fun way to give yourself a boost, get outside, and walk, all while helping to fundraise for our mission.
- Mar 15: We Were There - Transportation Incidents in Greater NY, is a panel discussion with our volunteers and employees who have responded to large-scale incidents here in our area over the last two plus decades.
- Mar 25: In partnership with the Brentwood Public Library, the American Red Cross on Long Island will host Prepare Brentwood, a day-long community event featuring safety courses, family readiness training, service opportunities, refreshments, prizes, and more! Prepare Brentwood is free to the public and open to residents of all ages.
- Mar 30: Join the Regional Preparedness Department at the Fire Department Training Center in Fort Totten, Queens for a fabulous Preparedness BBQ! (must be a registered Red Cross volunteer to sign up)
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.