|The Red Cross is currently assisting thousands displaced by flooding in Louisiana.|
Last Week in Review
- The American Red Cross is helping thousands of people in Louisiana affected by devastating flooding, likely the worst natural disaster since Superstorm Sandy in 2012.
- In response to this historic flooding in Louisiana, on Sunday two GNY Red Cross staff members deployed to the area to help with the relief effort. More will be travelling there in the coming days.
- On Saturday, the Red Cross assisted four Brooklyn residents displaced by a home fire.
- Last week, the Long Island Business News featured our new Long Island Chapter CEO, Neela Lockel.
- On Thursday, New York Red Crossers headed to a Mets game for the Greater New York Red Cross staff retreat. Thanks to Coca Cola for donating tickets. Check out pictures from the event here
- On Wednesday, our #GetAlarmedNYC program headed to the Bronx to install free smoke alarms. Check out our Instagram feed from the event.
- On Tuesday, the Red Cross assisted eight families who were affected by a home fire in the Wakefield section of the Bronx.
- Earlier this month a group of young Long Island swimmers swam for charity as part of their “Swim-A-Cross” program. The Long Island Herald highlighted the event last week.
- It’s hot out there! Make sure to check out our heat wave safety tips for ways to keep yourself and your family safe from the heat.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Aug 17, 21 & 22: Red Cross blood drive: 1 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Aug 16, 18: The 3rd Annual Youth Leadership Summit is a full day of trainings/workshops for Club Leaders, Members and Advisors to help prepare them for the next academic year. Red Cross Youth will receive training in topics such as Red Cross 101, Volunteer 101, Leadership Styles, Conflict Resolution, Event Planning and more!
- Aug 20: #GetAlarmedNYC is coming to Jamaica, Queens. Volunteer to help out, or sign up to get a free smoke alarm installed in your home.
- Aug 23-28: Calling all golf lovers! Barclays is looking for support at the PGA tour playoffs from August 23-28 in Farmingdale, LI. Signing up gets you full admission to the tournament for you and a guest. Learn more about this great opportunity. Don't forget to select American Red Cross as your affiliation when you register!
- Sep 17: Save the date for Radiation Situation: A Red Cross Simulation. The Greater New York Region will host its annual Full-Scale-Exercise on Saturday, September 17 from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Red Cross volunteers and staff are highly encouraged to participate and will have a choice of roles and locations throughout the Greater New York and North New Jersey Regions. Stay tuned for more information.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.