|Displaced Louisiana residents receive aid at a Red Cross shelter. (Photo by Red Crosser Marko Kokic)|
Last Week in Review
- For more than a week, the Red Cross has been providing immediate relief to communities across Louisiana devastated by historic flooding, the worst US natural disaster since Superstorm Sandy.
- Since last Sunday, Greater New York Red Cross volunteers and employees have been hard at work assisting the people affected by the flooding. So far 32 Red Crossers have deployed to Baton Rouge.
- On Saturday, Newsday (login required) featured our Long island volunteers.
- Check out our blog to see updates from our team members on the ground in the Gulf.
- On Friday a 24-hour call center was been set up at Greater New York Red Cross HQ to reduce the call volume to the affected areas. NY1 and CBS Local reported on their efforts.
- Practice makes perfect! On Sunday the Long Island Red Cross hosted the Regional Logistics Team for their Fundamentals Drill. These drills help ensure we are ready for any kind of region-wide disaster.
- On Saturday, #GetAlarmedNYC was in Jamaica, Queens where they helped save lives by installing free smoke alarms in local homes.
- On Thursday the Red Cross assisted nearly 50 people displaced by a large fire in Staten Island. The Staten Island Advance and CBS New York (among others) reported on our relief efforts.
- On Monday, Red Cross volunteers aided nearly 90 Yonkers residents who were forced from their homes by a four-alarm fire. A temporary shelter was set up nearby. Lohud and FiOS1 provided coverage of the devastating blaze and our response.
- Aug 23, 25 & 29: Red Cross blood drive: 2 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Aug 23-28: Calling all golf lovers! Barclays is looking for support at the PGA tour playoffs from August 23-28 in Farmingdale, LI. Signing up gets you full admission to the tournament for you and a guest. Learn more about this great opportunity. Don't forget to select American Red Cross as your affiliation when you register!
- Sep 17: Save the date for Radiation Situation: A Red Cross Simulation. The Greater New York Region will host its annual Full-Scale-Exercise on Saturday, September 17 from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Red Cross volunteers and staff are highly encouraged to participate and will have a choice of roles and locations throughout the Greater New York and North New Jersey Regions. Stay tuned for more information.
- Sep 22: Born on the Battlefield is a three hour introduction to the history of the Geneva Conventions as well as the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. Interested? Sign up today!