|August 6th was American Red Cross Day at Yankee Stadium.|
Last Week in Review
- The Greater New York Red Cross chapter, along with our community partners, was honored by the New York Yankees for the work Red Crossers have been doing for the #GetAlarmedNYC campaign. Nationally, the program has saved over 100 lives.
- #GetAlarmedNYC was in Brownsville on Saturday installing smoke alarms and saving lives.
- GNY Red Cross CEO Josh Lockwood spoke about the need for nonprofits to be prepared for disasters at the Human Services Council panel on Wednesday.
- Red Crossers assisted 3 families affected by a fire in Flatbush, Brooklyn early Wednesday morning. Volunteers were able to provide emergency funds and basic necessities for the families, as well as housing for 2 of the families.
- In our latest #MyRedCrossLife Instagram profile, Red Crosser Jessica Howells discusses the community feel at the Greater New York Red Cross chapter.
- Red Crossers helped spread information about emergency preparedness at National Night Out events throughout the region on Tuesday. National Night Out is a night to promote community relations with local police departments.
- The latest #HopeStartsHere episode dropped on Tuesday. The video focuses on programs that improve health and employee recognition.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Aug 10, 12 & 15: Red Cross blood drive: 1 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Aug 10: Youth members of the Red Cross Club of Hunter College will be out in the Bronx installing free smoke alarms in the community that were made by appointment as part of the #GetAlarmedNYC program.
- Aug 16, 18: The 3rd Annual Youth Leadership Summit is a full day of trainings/workshops for Club Leaders, Members and Advisors to help prepare them for the next academic year. Red Cross Youth will receive training in topics such as Red Cross 101, Volunteer 101, Leadership Styles, Conflict Resolution, Event Planning and more!
- Aug 20: #GetAlarmedNYC is coming to Jamaica, Queens. Volunteer to help out, or sign up to get a free smoke alarm installed in your home.
- Aug 23-28: Calling all golf lovers! Barclays is looking for support at the PGA tour playoffs from August 23-28 in Farmingdale, LI. Signing up gets you full admission to the tournament for you and a guest. Learn more about this great opportunity. Don't forget to select American Red Cross as your affiliation when you register!
- Sep 17: Save the date for Radiation Situation: A Red Cross Simulation. The Greater New York Region will host its annual Full-Scale-Exercise on Saturday, September 17th from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Red Cross volunteers and staff are highly encouraged to participate and will have a choice of roles and locations throughout the Greater New York and North New Jersey Regions. Stay tuned for more information.