|Red Crossers marching in the NYC Veteran's Day Parade. (Photo: Joe Spaccarelli)|
- On Sunday, the Red Cross helped prepare families at the Staten Island Family Ready Day.
- On Saturday, the Home Fire Preparedness Campaign had an amazing and productive day on Long Island and were responsible for installing 154 alarms in homes around the island. Red Cross CEO Neela Lockel was one of several volunteers who signed up to help make homes safer. Many thanks to everyone who participated.
- Over the weekend, the Metro New York North Logistics team held a cleanup day at the Middletown Warehouse with community partners. Big thanks to UPS, United Way and Blue Cross Blue Shield for lending a hand.
- On Veteran’s Day, staff and volunteers across the Greater New York Red Cross region honored our service members in grand fashion by marching in parades for New York City and Greenwich, CT. The Metro New York North team distributed “thank you” cards to service members while volunteers in Manhattan served hot beverages and snacks at the pre-staging site before marching up Fifth Avenue. It was a truly honorable and memorable experience for all involved.
- This past Wednesday, volunteers from the Long Island Red Cross lent their support to the officers who attended the funeral of NYPD Sargent Paul Tuozzolo. May he rest in peace.
- Later that day, the GNY Tiffany Circle Society of Women Leaders brought together members and guests for a discussion on “Preparedness and Security in Today’s World.” Amongst panel speakers were distinguished guests including Rep. Daniel M. Donovan. The program provided great insights and takeaways for everyone present. Special thanks to Steven Throne who captured some amazing shots of the event.
- Earlier this week, our Red Cross Changing Lives blog published an incredible story on Marko Kokic, a longtime Red Cross photographer who has spent his career documenting the work of Red Cross volunteers and staff around the globe. Make sure to check out this remarkable story and learn more about his most recent deployments to Louisiana and West Virginia!
- Special thanks to QBE for donating personal care products to our Service to the Armed Forces program. These products will be shipped to service members in Kuwait.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- Nov 18, 21, 23: Red Cross blood drive: 2 to 7pm: 520 West 49th Street, Manhattan. Schedule an appointment to donate today.
- Nov 19: #GetAlarmedNYC will be swinging by Elmhurst (Queens) to install free smoke alarms in the neighborhood. Volunteer to help out, or sign up to get a free smoke alarm installed in your home.
- Nov 19: Supporting Volunteer and Managing Teams Workshop at the Metro NY Chapter. If you are a supporting volunteer or team manager, please take advantage of this engaging course. You can sign up and learn more about SVMT here.
- Nov 20: Looking for an exciting challenge? Join the Volunteer Services team as a full-time AmeriCorps member in NYC & LI. Put your idealism into action by helping to recruit and engage volunteers!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.