|Armed Forces member cuddling with one of the Hudson Valley Paws for a Cause therapy dog|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 175 adults and 36 children following 58 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- This Red Cross Month, we are celebrating Clara Barton’s legacy and the dedicated volunteers who help fulfill her vision today. Thank you for helping us help others!
- On Sunday, Josh Lockwood and some volunteers kicked off Red Cross Month with our friends from the New Jersey Red Cross on the USS New Jersey. It was a fun event!
- Last Saturday, our partner MIRA USA participated in a Shelter Operations Simulation where they applied concepts learned in previous training. Congratulations to them and a huge thank you for all they do!
- Last Thursday night, we celebrated our Long Island CEO Neela Lockel for making it on the Long Island Press Power list. Congratulations to her!
- Last Wednesday, our fantastic Hudson Valley Paws for a Cause pet therapy volunteers provided affection, comfort, and support to people at Keller Army Community Hospital!
- After losing everything to an apartment fire last fall, Bronx resident Carlos Blanco turned to the Red Cross for relief, comfort and reassurance. Check out this video, where Carlos talks about those who helped him after tragedy.
- With an evolving outbreak like the coronavirus, finding accurate information can be challenging. Here are four sources you can trust.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Community Preparedness Education Volunteer, Disaster Action Team Member, Emergency Communications Center, Volunteer Services Screener. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mar 5: You are invited for an opportunity to shop Veronica Beard benefitting our organization. 10% of the day's total sales nationwide will be donated to the American Red Cross.
- Mar 7: Join us for Share the Red, our Orientation and Volunteer Fair which will be held from 10 am to 5 pm in our Greater New York Office.
- Apr 25: Save the Date for the Metro New York North Red and White Ball!