Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 207 adults and 47 children following 57 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- COVID-19 updates:
- As blood drives are canceled due to coronavirus concerns, the American Red Cross strongly urges healthy individuals to give blood or platelets to help patients in need. Visit AABB.org to find a blood drive near you.
- Be sure to check out these useful preparedness tips we’ve been sharing on social media.
- Read the experts opinion on shopping up for the Coronavirus.
- For more information on COVID-19 be sure to visit CDC.gov.
- Sunday evening into early Monday AM, Red Cross provided assistance to seven families displaced by a fire on Main St in Mineola.
- On Sunday morning, our teams responded to a 3-alarm fire on Shakespeare Ave in the Bronx. News 12 covered the incident.
- We were invited to ring the New York Stock Exchange Closing Bell last week to recognize the relief and recovery efforts following deadly storms in the South. Pics here.
- Red Cross Emergency Preparedness teams went to PS 51 in the Bronx last Tuesday to teach emergency preparedness to young students.
- On Monday we celebrated Red Cross Month in the Bronx with Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr and dozens of our Bronx volunteers.
- Sullivan County recognized our volunteers last Thursday for Red Cross Month.
- Big thanks to Senator James Sanders Jr. and Speaker of the NY State Assembly Carl E. Heastie for recording a PSA to support our home fire safety campaign in order to help us #EndHomeFires.
- Proud of our amazing volunteers who have been featured in the American Red Cross national social media for Red Cross Month: Marilyn Vallejo, Emily Allen and Pilar Cantor.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Community Preparedness Education Volunteer, Disaster Action Team Member, Emergency Communications Center, Volunteer Services Screener. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To find a blood drive near you click here.
- Mar 17: Join us at our Virtual Long Island Volunteer Orientation which will take place online from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
- Mar 25: Join us at our Virtual Westchester Volunteer Orientation which will take place online from 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm.
- Mar 25: Join us at our Virtual NYC Volunteer Orientation which will take place online from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm.