|Red Crossers working with JASA to distribute frozen meals to seniors. (Photo: Gary Chin)|
Last Week in Review
- For Mother’s Day, we reshared a story from long-time volunteer Barbara Robey about how her mother inspired her to join the Red Cross.
- Last Thursday was World Red Cross Red Crescent Day, which served as a great reminder to thank all the wonderful volunteers who are helping to support families during the #COVID19 pandemic. Some of these COVID-19 efforts last week included:
- Red Cross volunteers, in partnership with JASA, assisted in the distribution of frozen meals to seniors coping with COVID-19 in Far Rockaway, Queens.
- Red Crossers partnered with Meals-on-Wheels to feed seniors in Rockland County.
- We delivered Papa Johns pizzas to Salvation Army sites across New York City.
- As part of the NYC Heathcare Heroes Initiative, care packages were distributed to frontline workers at hospitals across New York City, including Staten Island and Brooklyn
- Earlier last week, we posted this amazing video highlighting how the Long Island Red Cross has been supporting Island Harvest who is feeding families across Nassau and Suffolk Counties impacted by the COVID-19 crisis.
- On Monday, #MaytheFourthBeWithYou, we joined in the celebration of all things Star Wars and posted several COVID-19 safety tips featuring some of Star Wars most iconic characters.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer position: Blood Donor Screener. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To find a blood drive near you click here.
- May 13, 20, 27: The goal of the Pillowcase Project Virtual Sessions is to help create a generation of children who understand the science of hazards, are empowered to take action preparing for emergencies and are excited to help create a prepared community by sharing what they have learned with family and friends. Register for an online session here.
- May 14, 19, 21, 26, 28: In partnership with New York State, the Red Cross is providing free online training on how to prepare for natural and man-made disasters and how to respond to and recover from them. Register for an online session here.