|This small but mighty team broke a record today, handing out 900
NYC Health Heroes totes at Jamaica Hospital in 45 minutes.
Last Week in Review
- Last week, the Greater NY Red Cross launched their virtual Family Assistance Center to provide comfort and support, information and referrals for New York State families that have lost loved ones to the COVID-19 Coronavirus.
- The NYC Healthcare Heroes Initiative continued last week. Red Cross volunteers handed out hundreds of bags filled with supplies and food at several hospitals including Jamaica Hospital and Elmhurst Hospital. Among those who received the supplies was RN Janet Holmes.
- Speaking about working as a volunteer in our latest “Three Questions” blog post, Darya Matskin explains how she approaches her work helping people after local emergencies: "When I go out there, I really go through this crisis with them."
- Last Friday, LI Red Cross volunteers supported Island Harvest who, amidst the COVID-19 crisis, is providing food pantry boxes for families in need across Nassau and Suffolk Counties.
- Starting last Tuesday, Red Cross volunteers, in partnership with Papa John's Pizza, began delivering 1600 hot pizzas to Salvation Army ‘grab and go’ sites in NYC, Freeport, Westbury, New Rochelle, Yonkers, and Spring Valley.
- In Rockland County, eight Red Cross volunteers supported 70 families with food provided by the Sloatsburg Food Pantry as part of our partnership with the Rockland County VOAD.
- Our new Metro NY North Chapter CEO Stephanie Dunn Ashley and volunteers participated in a parade to honor healthcare workers at Greenwich Hospital.
- PIX11 reported on the wonderful efforts of Moms Making Masks, alongside Assemblywoman Judy Griffin and Senator Todd Kaminsky, who presented homemade masks to the American Red Cross on Long Island.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer positions: Service to the Armed Forces Caseworker, Volunteer Services Screener, Mass Care Team Member, Disaster Health Services. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To find a blood drive near you click here.
- May 6, 13, 20: The goal of the Pillowcase Project Virtual Sessions is to help create a generation of children who understand the science of hazards, are empowered to take action preparing for emergencies and are excited to help create a prepared community by sharing what they have learned with family and friends. Register for an online session here.