|Red Cross Volunteers continue to support communities in need during pandemic. (Photo: Kevin Suttlehan)|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 19 adults and 7 children following 33 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Throughout last week, the Healthcare Heroes Initiative supporting our hospital workers continued strong with care package drop offs at Mt. Sinai and St. Barnabas. Volunteer Vivian Moy took a moment to reflect on what this work meant to her.
- Did you catch our very own Joe Spaccarelli on WCBS Radio talking about the NYC Healthcare Heroes program?
- Last week, the national Red Cross website featured a story about a Bronx woman who turned to the Red Cross after a fire destroyed her home.
- For Armed Forces Day, we thanked service members and shared a quote from volunteer Marilyn Vallejo about how she feels about her Red Cross work with service members.
- Working with our wonderful partners, we delivered food to families in need in Islip and Suffern and we delivered pizzas to Salvation Army sites throughout New York City.
Upcoming Events and Opportunities
- We are actively recruiting for the following volunteer position: Blood Donor Screener, Disaster Spiritual Care Team Member. Apply today at www.redcross.org/volunteer! For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To find a blood drive near you click here.
- May 20, 27: The goal of the Pillowcase Project Virtual Sessions is to help create a generation of children who understand the science of hazards, are empowered to take action preparing for emergencies and are excited to help create a prepared community by sharing what they have learned with family and friends. Register for an online session here.
- May 21, 26, 28: In partnership with New York State, the Red Cross is providing free online training on how to prepare for natural and man-made disasters and how to respond to and recover from them. Register for an online session here.