|Long Island Red Cross volunteers placed flags on each of the headstones at |
Calverton National Cemetery for Memorial Day. (Photo: Doreen Brienza)
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 71 adults and 19 children following 30 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- On Monday, Long Island Red Cross participated in the Plainview Old Bethpage Memorial Day parade
- Long Island Red Cross volunteers also placed flags on each of the headstones at Calverton National Cemetery for Memorial Day, an annual tradition to honor fallen service members.
- Last Saturday, the Metro NY North Red Cross distributed information at the Greenwich Town Party.
- Over the weekend, the Greater NY Red Cross returned to supporting Fleet Week at the Intrepid.
- Right before Memorial Day weekend, we shared these safety tips for celebrating the start of the summer.
- Last Wednesday, we livestreamed an emergency preparedness presentation--“What to Do When Disaster Strikes”--with Bronx elected officials.
- The week before, the Red Cross participated in the Haitian Parade of Unity.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- At the 2022 Long Island Heroes Among Us Gala on September 22, an everyday hero (or group of heroes who acted together) from Long Island will be honored and recognized. There’s still time for you to nominate someone for consideration! Nominate a Hero today!
- Now more than ever, dedicated and passionate civic leaders are needed to serve the Red Cross. Apply to begin a full-time AmeriCorps service year with us starting in September.
- June 3: The Pillowcase Project is an interactive preparedness education program for children in grades 2 through 5 that teaches kids how to prepare for emergencies,
- June 12: Now is the perfect time to join the Red Cross and get trained to help your local community! Learn about positions with disaster preparedness, communications, volunteer services and much more at this Volunteer Info Session.
- Blood Donors have chance to win a VIP trip to Graceland by donating in June.