|Long Island Red Cross members and local officials gathered on Long Beach to discuss hurricane-preparedness.|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 128 adults and 47 children following 50 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- On Sunday, the Metro NY North Red Cross transformed the Dorothy Hamill Skating Rink in Greenwich into Safety Town, an annual education program that teaches awareness and accident prevention to local children.
- Dozens of team members gathered at our NYC headquarters last Saturday for a disaster response exercise to learn and train together.
- Last Friday, we livestreamed our Pillowcase Project, an interactive education program that teaches children how to prepare for emergencies.
- Also on Friday, the Greater NY Red Cross celebrated the generosity of Bistro V patrons during a check presentation at our Greenwich HQ.
- On Wednesday, we hosted a “Conversation About Legacy Giving” about remembering the Red Cross and providing for future generations through the help of our donors and donations.
- Earlier in the week, the L.I. Herald, Newsday and CBS New York (among others) covered a press conference organized by the Red Cross on Long Beach to discuss hurricane-preparedness.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- At the 2022 Long Island Heroes Among Us Gala on September 22, an everyday hero (or group of heroes who acted together) from Long Island will be honored and recognized.
- Now more than ever, dedicated and passionate civic leaders are needed to serve the Red Cross. Apply to begin a full-time AmeriCorps service year with us starting in September.
- June 12: Now is the perfect time to join the Red Cross and get trained to help your local community! Learn about positions with disaster preparedness, communications, volunteer services and other departments at this Volunteer Info Session.
- No worries if you missed the last Pillowcase Project livestream, we have two more this week on June 7 and June 9!
- June 13-17: Safety Town is now open for registration! Sign your children up to have them learn safety awareness and accident prevention skills!
- Give a Pint, Get a Pint! For the month of June, Red Cross and Stewart’s Shop are teaming up and giving out free pints of ice cream to blood donors in 26 counties across Upstate New York!