Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 186 adults and 67 children following 50 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- On Sunday, News 12 Bronx reported on a Mount Vernon house fire where the NY Red Cross assisted two families.
- Friday afternoon, The NY Times, NY1, and QNS (among others) reported on a deadly fire in Queens where the NY Red Cross provided emergency housing and financial aid to families who were impacted.
- On Thursday, News 12 Brooklyn reported on an overnight Newburgh fire where the Red Cross helped affected families.
- Also on Thursday, a discussion was held with NFL and NBA representatives at our New York HQ on trends and community impact priorities.
- Connor Gray, a student at the University of Manchester shared his meaningful experience working with the Red Cross to help promote the Civic Corps Program.
- Last Tuesday, the NY Red Cross participated in Heat Action Day by hosting a flash mob in Times Square.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- At the 2022 Long Island Heroes Among Us Gala on September 22, an everyday hero (or group of heroes who acted together) from Long Island will be honored and recognized. There’s still time for you to nominate someone for consideration! Nominate a Hero today!
- Now more than ever, dedicated and passionate civic leaders are needed to serve the Red Cross. Apply to begin a full-time AmeriCorps service year with us starting in September.
- Blood Donors have chance to win a VIP trip to Graceland by donating in June.