|Bethpage HS Red Cross club installing smoke alarms on Long Island community. (Photo: Lori-Ann Spaccarelli)|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 106 adults and 26 children following 35 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- ABC7, SILive.com, FOX5 and PIX11 reported on a fire on Pitney Ave in Staten Island where the Red Cross assisted 3 families.
- Over the weekend, the Bethpage HS Red Cross club made the community safer by installing 83 smoke alarms in homes.
- Did you catch our colleague Roxana on Spectrum News NY1 talking about how to keep your pets safe in an emergency?
- You can also learn more about Roxana’s journey to help pets and their owners during disasters.
- Last Friday, we featured volunteer Celia Vollmer, a lifelong resident of Brentwood, N.Y., who has dedicated most of her life to serving and helping others.
- Ananda Soundhararajan and others are running the TCS NYC Marathon to benefit the Red Cross. Please give them your support!
- Last Monday, the LI Herald reported on how the LI Red Cross assisted a family after a fire in Valley Steam.
- Aug 23: NY State Senator Elijah Reichlin-Melnick is hosting a blood drive in Ossining, NY.
- Aug 25: Interested in volunteering with the Red Cross? Learn about volunteer positions with disaster preparedness, communications, volunteer services and much more at our upcoming Prospective Volunteer Information Session. Sign up and come listen, learn and ask your questions!
- Aug 27, Sep 17, Oct 23: The Long Island Red Cross is heading to Long Beach to install FREE smoke alarms on these dates. Sign up here http://www.soundthealarm.org/LI.
- Sep 22: The #RedCrossGala on Sep. 22 will recognize civic leaders and heroic individuals who embody our humanitarian mission. Purchase tickets today!
- Saving lives is extraordinary & so are you. Let us thank you with a $10 e-gift card to a merchant you choose when you come to give blood, platelets or plasma in August! PLUS get a chance at gas for a year ($6K value)! Sign up & give.