Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 115 adults and 54 children following 47 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Last week, the Long Island Red Cross Board of Directors and National Grid hosted an honorary event for Red Cross volunteers at The Cradle of Aviation.
- Hypebeast, Complex, UPS Mag, and others reported on our Drop for Drop pop-up, a collaboration with Mono, New York Sunshine and Eric Emanuel where blood donors received exclusive merchandise.
- On Thursday, a car crashed into a Central Islip house, where the Long Island Red Cross provided assistance and financial aid to the resident.
- On Wednesday, CBS News and NY1 reported on a boom truck tipping over and damaging a building in Sunset Park where the Red Cross provided assistance and temporary housing for affected families.
- Owen Koorbusch, a runner representing Red Cross in the TCS NYC Marathon, shares his personal story that led him to join Team Red Cross.
- 11 of our team members from GNY Red Cross deployed to Kentucky in support of those displaced by the historic flooding.
- Monday morning, News 12 Long Island reported on a Mount Eden apartment fire where the Red Cross assisted affected residents.
Upcoming Events and Activities
- August 11: Join us in Blauvelt, NY for a Rockland Friends Meeting sponsored blood drive!
- At the 2022 Long Island Heroes Among Us Gala on September 22, an everyday hero (or group of heroes who acted together) from Long Island will be honored and recognized.
- Mental health professionals are needed for Red Cross disaster services. Share your compassion as a Red Cross Volunteer today by completing your application!