|Long Island Red Cross assisting residents after fire in Bay Shore. (Photo: Celia Vollmer)|
Over the last seven days, the Greater New York Red Cross has provided emergency assistance to 161 adults and 46 children following 60 local disaster responses. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities. (See below)
Last Week in Review
- Sunday marked the 19th year anniversary of the Northeast Blackout of 2003. Relive the day of summer heat without electricity and communications disruptions by listening to our podcast episode devoted to the historic disaster.
- Alex Takata, Catherine Blake and Alexa Liautaud are running the TCS NYC Marathon to benefit the Red Cross. Please give them your support!
- Last Saturday, the Long Island Red Cross were out making the community safer by installing free smoke alarms with help from the Bethpage Red Cross Club.
- ABC7NY and News 12 Brooklyn reported on 3-alarm fire Friday morning on Montrose Ave in Brooklyn where the Red Cross assisted 7 households with emergency housing and financial aid.
- The Greenwich Sentinel published a column from our own Metro NY North CEO about keeping your kids safe as they head back to school.
- Last Tuesday night, the Long Island Red Cross assisted 5 families with financial aid, comfort supplies, blankets and recovery support after a fire on Central Blvd in Bay Shore (Suffolk County).
- A couple of weeks ago was an amazing day of outdoor fun and activities as five of our Services to the Armed Forces volunteers helped support Heroes on the Harbor, sponsored by the VA NY Harbor Healthcare System and Wounded Warrior Project.
- Congratulations to KPMG for a successful Community Impact Day in celebration of their 125th anniversary! On Aug 2, they trained over 200 KPMG volunteers in life-saving skills & collected 180+ units of blood.
- Aug 25, Sep 17, Oct 23: The Long Island Red Cross is heading to Long Beach to install FREE smoke alarms on these dates. Sign up here http://www.soundthealarm.org/LI.
- Aug 25: Interested in volunteering with the Red Cross? Learn about volunteer positions with disaster preparedness, communications, volunteer services and much more at our upcoming Prospective Volunteer Information Session. Sign up and come listen, learn and ask your questions!
- Sep 22: The #RedCrossGala on Sep. 22 will recognize civic leaders and heroic individuals who embody our humanitarian mission.
- Mental health professionals are needed for Red Cross disaster services. Share your compassion as a Red Cross Volunteer today by completing your application!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.