Red Cross Command Center, ERV and Hummer at Touch-a-Truck event.
(Photo: Lori-Ann Spaccarelli-Pizzarelli)
Over the last 7 days, the Greater New York Red Cross provided emergency assistance to 78 adults and 23 children following 56 local disasters. Here are some highlights from last week and a preview of upcoming activities (see below).
Last Week in Review
- Last Sunday, Team Red Cross did a fantastic job at the 2019 TCS NYC Marathon. They ran to deliver hope, raising funds to support our humanitarian mission. Check out runner Allie Taylor as she makes her way through the course.
- Last Saturday, Red Cross members and emergency took part in the Touch-a-Truck event in Suffolk County.
- In our latest blog post, Rockland County couple Linda and Brian MacMullan share with us their experiences in the Red Cross, and how they give back to their community.
- On Halloween, the Red Cross and the ACSNYC shared important safety tips to help keep trick-or-treaters in New York City safe.
- Last Thursday, the New York Disaster Interfaith Services held a Disaster Chaplaincy and Spiritual Mass Care Session. One of our Spiritual Care leads Rabbi Stephen Roberts took part in this gathering.
- Last week Community and Government Relations Director John Waldman and Interim CEO Susan Rounds Assemblywoman met with Helene Weinstein to share our organizational state of readiness in the Greater New York Region.
- A sketchbook by cartoonist Mark Fiore captures the many interactions and services available inside a Red Cross evacuation shelter in Sonoma County impacted by the Kincade Fire.
- The third episode of our “Humanitarians of NY” podcast is now available! Red Cross volunteer (and former employee) Eli Russ shares with us his journey with the Red Cross and how joining as a youth volunteer in 2009 changed the course of his life.
- Last Tuesday, the 2nd Annual Disaster Services Expo was sponsored by the Red Cross on Long Island. We are thankful to the Nassau County OEM for hosting us and helping us maintain a strong community across Long Island.
- Nov 6: Join us at the American Red Cross in Greater New York volunteer fair from 2pm to 6pm! Explore volunteer opportunities from over 20 of the most prominent disaster relief non-profit organizations in the NYC area.
- Nov 9: The Peekskill Fire Department (Westchester County) will be hosting us for their very own Home Fire Campaign major event! Peekskill firefighters will be joining Red Cross volunteers to install smoke detectors and spread fire awareness throughout the city of Peekskill, NY. The event will be held from 8am-4pm. No prior Home Fire Campaign experience is required. Training will be provided at the event. Register here.
- Nov 13: Join us at the American Red Cross of Long Islands offices to learn about how you can get involved with one of our many volunteer opportunities. Light refreshments will be provided.
- Nov 14: Join the Red Cross Young Patrons for a night of conversation, drinks, live music and old Hollywood enchantment at the beautiful and historic Players Club on Gramercy Park. The Red Cross Young Patrons provides rising professionals with an opportunity to network with other socially-conscious philanthropists and help leverage the mission of the American Red Cross in the local community.
- Nov 21: Volunteer fair being held at Metro New York North, to learn more about volunteer opportunities.
- Dec 3: Sunrise to Save Lives Breakfast and Panel Discussion: Help the American Red Cross Long Island Chapter vaccinate 20,000 children on December 3, 2019
- Dec 11: Please join the American Red Cross Young Patron for a Holiday Soiree to support our Service to the Armed Forces on December 11, 2019.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.